Cara Donahue, MA, CCC-SLP
- Swallow Evaluation and Management (Swallow Therapy)
Speech-language pathologists who specialize in swallowing at the ALS clinic provide the following services to patients:
- Education to patients and families regarding dysphagia (swallowing difficulties), signs and symptoms of dysphagia, and risks associated with dysphagia.
- Screening for dysphagia to assist patients in maintaining safe, efficient, and enjoyable eating and drinking despite disease progression.
- Instruction to patients regarding diet modifications and adaptions to eat and drink safely and efficiently.
- Referrals for instrumental swallowing evaluations to further assess swallow function as needed.
- Education and instruction about respiratory interventions that may help to maintain respiratory, cough, and swallow function in patients with ALS.
- Discussion of patient care goals for maintaining nutrition, hydration, and quality of life throughout disease progression.